One of my biggest problems with hummus is that its sooooo boring. There are plenty of perfectly good hummi (hummussess?) at the grocery store but I wanted to make my own and man or man am I happy I did. I found a base recipe that was actually really good in The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook. (Buy it!) And then to spice it up I doubled the garlic and then added some harissa. Also, make sure youre getting good chickpeas. The ones in the international aisle. Especially if they have a Mediterranean section.
- 1/4 cup water
- half a lemon, juiced
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons harissa
1. Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
2. Dip something in it and put it in your mouth!