A creamy, hearty potato soup that is easy to make. I modified it slightly from this recipe: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-potato-soup-recipe/
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and diced
- 3-4 cups good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
- I like to use 3 chicken bullion cubes and water
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- Russets will work fine too
- 1 medium onion, pealed and diced
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 12oz can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- green onion
- Put bacon, chicken stock, potatoes, and onion in slow cooker and cook on low until potatoes are done. They will be easily pierced with a fork. 6-8 hours on low should do it.
- When potatoes are ready, make the roux. Melt bacon grease and whisk in flour. After the paste is formed slowly mix in the evaporated milk until smooth. Add roux to the slow cooker and mix.
- Add cheese, yogurt, salt and pepper to slow cooker and mix until cheese melts completely.
- Serve and garnish with green onions, extra cheese, and extra bacon.